Blog

Safety Tips for a PET-trifying Halloween!

Halloween is a fun time to dress up and indulge in candies, cookies and games. If you’re looking to include your pet in the Halloween fun, please keep in mind these helpful tips:

 

Do NOT feed your pet any human treats – this includes, but is not limited to, candies and cookies meant for humans.  Some ingredients found in these delicious treats are poisonous for our pets.  Stick to offering your pet appropriate pet-friendly treats

 

Make sure candy wrappers and chip bags are thrown into the garbage and that your pet is unable to gain access to the garbage, as they can be a choking hazard as well as cause an intestinal obstruction if ingested.

 

If you suspect your pet has consumed something toxic or dangerous, call your veterinarian or animal poison control centre ASAP!

 

Halloween-Pet-Safety-Tips

 

All pets should be kept indoors while kids are out trick-or-treating. Strangers can be stressful for your pet, so best to keep your pets in a secure area, where they can relax without fear of them getting loose or harmed.

 

Ensure your pet is wearing a secure collar with ID tag, in the event your pet gets loose. This will increase the chances of being reunited with your pet in the event they get lost. 

 

Halloween plants such as pumpkin and corn need to be kept out of reach of curious and mischievous pets. While, these plants are non-toxic, they can cause gastrointestinal upset if ingested in large quantities or intestinal blockage if large pieces are swallowed.

 

Ensure that any decorations used to create a creepy atmosphere are placed out of reach of your pets to minimize chances of injury and/or fire. Flashing lights or LEDs are very good alternatives to candles for spooking up your house. Don’t forget to keep wires and electrical light cords out of reach. If chewed, your pet could cut themselves on shards of glass or plastic, and/or receive a nasty, possibly life-threatening electrical shock.

 

Some pets really enjoy getting into the Halloween spirit and wearing a costume.  Others may find the experience scary, uncomfortable and overall unpleasant.  Trying on costume pieces slowly, before Halloween, will help you determine if your pet responds well to dressing up.  If dressing up causes distress and/or allergic reaction, stop putting costumes on your pet.  You may opt to try a Halloween bandana, depending on your pet’s preference.

 

If you pet enjoys wearing the costume, ensure the costume you select fits your pet, allowing them to breathe comfortably, see and hear clearly, and walk safely, without tripping. Remove any small pieces that could be swallowed.  Never apply make up or glitter to your pet because it could be licked off and make them sick and/or cause a skin reaction.

 

Happy Halloween!

Sharing is caring!

Comments are closed.